Tuesday, May 8, 2018

on call disability style -on going

This is how we roll. In the last decade or so I've embraced the concept of 'on call' because I realized services loopholes are frustrating families with members who have disabilities. These programs consistently fail.They loose the path where they were initially created to therefore,the result is that they reach fewer persons than was intended. Families are dismayed and have lost confidence in the so called 'supportive' systems. I have taken the roll of offering one on one free consultation to individuals, parents of members living with exceptionalities. They call me to vent,to complain and to seek advice. Being the go to person for them not only is personally satisfying it also reinforced my understanding that services and supports to persons with disabilities are only effective when they are individualized. For example in 2011 I stated a meeting day, once a week,and though it never advertised, it took off via word of mouth. during that time I eventually met students with various challenges in the school system. In my quest to never let them leave my office empty handed. I taught myself the specific ideas/skills so as to be able to offer some support with what they struggling with. I also cautioned the parents to understand that this is for life. Together we are looking for management strategies matching the child's needs as there are no cures.

No comments: